- This event has passed.
TRB Webinar: What’s Cooler than Cool? Cooler Pavements for Urban Heat Island Mitigation
August 13, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm UTC-5$95
Urban Heat Islands (UHI) are a common phenomenon in which urban areas are warmer than adjacent rural areas. As the climate continues to change and more people move into urban areas, the UHI effect becomes more pronounced, especially with regards to energy consumption and public health. TRB will host a webinar on Thursday, August 13, 2020 from 1:00-2:30 PM Eastern that will synthesize knowledge of pavement technologies that have the potential to mitigate the UHI effect. Presenters will discuss permeable pavements, reflective pavements, and phase change materials. They will also present a case study that explores challenges involved with implementing these solutions.
This webinar was organized by the TRB Sustainable and Resilient Pavements Subcommittee.
Some registrants will need to pay $95 to attend this webinar. Sign into MyTRB.org to view registration information.
Webinar agenda and presenters
- Review of Part 1 Straight to Recording: Sushobhan Sen, University of Pittsburgh
- Permeable Pavements: Liv Haselbach, Lamar University
- Reflective pavements and coatings: John Harvey, University of California at Davis
- Case study: Greg Spotts, City of Los Angeles Bureau of Street Services
- Question and answer session: Victoria Ludwig, Environmental Protection Agency
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- List various pavement technologies to mitigate UHI
- Quantify the potential UHI effect of pavements and the corresponding mitigation potential of each of the pavement technologies
- Evaluate the benefits of mitigation technologies with respect to the challenges involved in implementing them